Table of content
10 Features Your Custom Software must have
Though business owners typically have an understanding of the specific functions they expect their custom software to be able to perform, there are myriad other con
- Time management – Custom software should include the ability to schedule tasks and set reminders. Be it for accounting, CRM or other business function, such time management features can greatly enhance productivity.
- Ease of use – Anyone with experience of off-the-shelf software will know that it is rarely, if ever, intuitive from the start. There is usually a steep learning curve, after which you become accustomed to the software. Consider the training requirement for your entire staff and hundreds of man hours look to be lost to acclimatization. Good custom software should be intuitive, with a minimal learning curve and reduce training required for employees.
- Security – Well-designed custom software can offer greater levels of security than mainstream software. This can come in a number of ways, including access control and validation; tighter user controls; a lack of excessive features which open the door for vulnerabilities; a bespoke software solution is also less lucrative for cybercriminals, who prefer to focus their energies on mainstream software.
- Easy integration with existing systems – The power of custom software should be harnessed to tie-in as much of the business onto an interconnected platform which can store and leverage information. For instance, in the case of CRM and sales teams.
- Migration – Whether the client is already running an existing off-the-shelf software or is migrating from other software, the new solution must account for migration of existing records (possibly with all their metadata intact)
- Automation – This is a key attribute of any custom software solution. In addition to manual and repetitive tasks, the software should automate tasks, for instance supply chain management, forecasting, purchasing or invoice generation.
- Scalability – Custom software a major advantage when it comes to flexibility and scalability. With the current trends of Internet of Things, and ever-increasing context awareness of machines, software should aim to accommodate all such expansion in capability.
- Branding – Custom software is a great opportunity for businesses to differentiate themselves from their competitors. They can signal a real statement of intent, and customer-facing features can become an indispensable part of the brand.
- Cost-effective – Not loaded with features you don’t need and without the licensing fees typically associated with off-the-shelf software, custom software can pay for itself in a relatively short time.
- Support – Instead of having to deal with long wait times with a call center, a custom software solution comes with the promise of fast and targeted support. Not ‘try restarting it’, custom software providers go to the root of any issues that arise. In other words, you can count on your problem being resolved effectively, rather than hoping the error doesn’t reoccur.
Based in the GTA, Vestra Inet is employed by companies from Canada and the USA for their custom software needs. Our experienced software development team caters to myriad industries, including medical, industrial manufacturing, tooling and service providers.
Get in touch with us to understand how we can build powerful custom software for your business. We have an extremely responsive team which collaborates with clients and responds to their unique needs promptly.
Vestra Inet also provides holistic online marketing tools and strategies, including web design services, SEO and offers a custom content management system (CMS).